Tumblr is the news after its massive acquisition by Yahoo. Have you considered what the blogging platform could do for your nonprofit?
Everybody's talking about Yahoo's recent acquisition of Tumblr! Yahoo spent an incredible $1.1 billion to bring the popular blogging platform into its ranks. If you hadn't been paying attention to Tumblr before, now's the time to learn more about this trending network.
- Simplicity: It's easy to get started and easy to update your blog. Users simply add text and images without needing to code; making Tumblr a good choice for people who don't already have a website or are new to blogging.
- Mobile Optimization: Tumblr has a great mobile app allowing users to quickly post content from mobile devices. There's no need to log into a PC or laptop and access your dashboard to edit your blog! If your staff members are frequently in the field or do a lot of offsite events, this is a very handy feature.
- Sharing: With a push of a button you can easily reblog the content of other Tumblrs you're following, and your followers can reblog you. Going viral has never been easier, so get out your infographics & memes! Tumblr also allows easy "tagging", making your content searchable across blogs.
- Customization: You can choose one of thousands of interesting existing templates for your Tumblr, or use your own code and images to create a unique design to match your organization's visual identity.
- Demographics: When you examine the average age of social network users, Tumblr has some of the youngest individuals. The average Facebook user is 40 years old, compared to 34 for the average Tumblr user. Furthermore, half of Tumblr's user base is under 25! If you are wondering how to reach out to Millennials and encourage them to become involved with your cause, Tumblr is a good place to start.
Tumblr is all about personal and creative expression, so it's no surprise that nonprofit orgs have been using it as an extension of their brand voice.
Check out these great charities who are active on Tumblr:
- http://plannedparenthood.tumblr.com/ - Planned Parenthood America
- http://nationaltrustwa.tumblr.com/ - The National Trust of Australia
- http://doctorswithoutborders.tumblr.com/ - Doctors Without Borders
- http://albertacancer.tumblr.com/ - Alberta Cancer Foundation
- http://wwf.tumblr.com/ - WWF
Big Idea: If your organization's website is currently on an older content management system (CMS) that is difficult to update or does not have social sharing features (for instance, it does not share a thumbnail, headline & text on Facebook), consider using Tumblr as an organizational blog.
Tumblr could be your "hub" for content you want to share on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest! Tumblr makes it easy to customize your pages to include Donate Now buttons and links to your nonprofit website. Check out these examples: Royal Children's Hospital Foundation and National Breast Cancer Foundation.